Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rooted.

Rooted was amazing.

This week Tiffany, Kristin, and I read chapter 3 in "The Doctrine of Repentance" by Thomas Watson. Chapter 3 focused on 3 of 6 "ingredients" for true repentance-- sight of sin, sorrow for sin, and confession of sin. We talked a lot about how we don't take sin seriously; how, if at the end of the day you asked us how we sinned we wouldn't be able to tell you. Shameful. Or rather, I am shameless. Shamelessly sinning without caring to recognize the consequences or the gravity of my sin. I take my sin way too lightly and that keeps me from fully appreciating the Gospel and from loving Christ as I should.

"The more bitterness we taste in sin, the more sweetness we shall taste in Christ."

After reading that this week I resolved to be more aware of my sin. And I was. It was pretty depressing. I'm glad I am more conscious of how I abuse God's grace, but I am the worst. I sin so much!

But Waston was right. Scripture is right. It is not until we see ourselves as we really are that we can see Christ as He truly is. It's amazing to see God's perfect timing at work. It was good that I studied repentance, good that I was made aware of how unaware of my sin I was. I'm glad that I was able to become shamed over my own sinfulness. And glad that this was all before Rooted.

Rooted was amazing. Not because the band was crazy (which they were), or because Denise's testimony made me tear up (which it did), or because I was so happy to be back at CCAC (which I was), or because Eric's Gospel presentation was so convicting (which it was). Rooted was amazing because everything pointed back to Christ and the cross. 

How much "more meaningful" the Gospel is when you know what you have been saved from and how undeserving you are! O, that the Gospel would continue to pierce my heart and that through a clear view of my sin and wretchedness with Gospel tinted lenses, I would grow to cherish and love Christ all the more.

T.


3 comments:

  1. Rooted? Dang that sounds so amazing.
    I hope you're constantly encouraged Trace. It's amazing how similar our prayer requests were this week huh? Let's keep praying for each other-- and I know God will open our eyes a little more. Let's be strong together!!!!

    <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. I'm glad you are in my life you sinner
    <3 nastier sinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man i absolutely love watson - my favorite puritan... kind of, haha (cause i haven't really read others and spurgeon and edwards ain't puritan puritans). my blog is named after his book - All Things for Good aka A Divine Cordial.
    Anyway! I'm glad rooted was good (i'm guessing it was the church praise thing)? and i'm going to have to read Watson's doctrine of repentance. man oh man

    ReplyDelete