Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Depraved Indifference"

"The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases and the 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children. And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth proclaim to be Christians.
The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left."--Katie Davis, "Kisses from Katie"
I first heard about Katie Davis a few months ago via the Desiring God blog. It seemed so fortuitous that just as I was trying to find a missions trip to Africa to go on she would show up on that blog. The book is pretty good (I downloaded it yesterday--hollah Nook!, and am halfway done!). It gives an unashamed view of the conditions in Uganda, both good and bad. Here's a crazy long interview of Katie Davis with David Platt (Radical is now on my reading list). 

All of this makes me wonder WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!? Be it here or abroad, praying that I would do all for His glory.

1 comment: